Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Frustrated

I can't even begin to explain how frustrated i have been with myself today. this was my long clinical day. i was to meet my patient, do pre-op stuff with her, take her to surgery, scrub in on her surgery, go with her to the recovery room, and then take care of her post-op up on the medical floor. so, met her--she was nice, family was nice, no problem. went to surgery--GREAT. put in her catheter no problem, the dr was great and we joked around a lot, nurses good, and my patient did very well. recovery room was fine. spent a lot of time talking with the anesthesiologist and then accompanied my patient back to her room. well, apparently i left my brain in the OR. or maybe the anesthesiologist just has some anesthesia on him all the time that i unknowingly inhaled...i don't know but seriously....i was a freaking mess. could not get organized. she had a nasogastric tube and an incisional drain placed during surgery, both of which were new to work with for me, had iv antiobiotics that needed hung right away, vital signs every 15 min, then 30 min, then hourly, needed a new iv because hers was too old and was leaking (which thankfully i found...my one success today). i got her IV in right away, but immediately it blew. so much stuff and i just never felt like i knew at all what i was doing, couldn't find anything on the floor....blah blah blah...my instructor was extremely patient with me, but i was so embarrassed. i just wanted to go back to the ER!! extremely disappointed in myself today. although, i am aware, that this is the first time i've been back on the hospital floor since last semester, and i should expect some disorientation initially, but it was freaking ridiculous. now, my patient was comfortable and cared for appropriately and i know that if i was going back to care for her tomorrow, it'd be a completely different story. i'd be fine. her pain was managed, her family was involved, and we communicated very well. it was all the other "technical" stuff that got me today. it all got done but to say the least, it WAS NOT PRETTY!!
then i also got a message that my hair dresser's poor baby is sick today so no haircut and highlight for me tonight!! ughhhh.....i could have used some beauty time! perhaps a hot bath, or maybe a beer or two will do...tomorrow's a new day...

1 comment:

Clickin Mama J said...

Sorry it was a crappy day! Good news is you didn't kill anybody!!!! I say that is a huge success! But then I don't know how you do any of that nursing stuff. It scares me! Love you!!!!